Thursday 3 December 2009

Top Word of 2009: TWITTER


“King of Pop” is Top Phrase; “Obama” is Top Name.

The Global Language Monitor has announced that Twitter is the Top Word of 2009 in its annual global survey of the English language.

“In a year dominated by world-shaking political events, a pandemic, the after effects of a financial tsunami and the death of a revered pop icon, the word Twitter stands above all the other words. Twitter represents a new form of social interaction, where all communication is reduced to 140 characters,” said Paul JJ Payack, President of The Global Language Monitor.

The Top Words are culled from throughout the English-speaking world, which now numbers more than 1.58 billion speakers.
The Top 3 Words of 2009:

Twitter The ability to encapsulate human thought in 140 characters.
Obama The word stem transforms into scores of new words like ObamaCare.
H1N1 The formal (and politically correct) name for Swine Flu.

What´s your favourite word in English? Tell us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite words in English (and one that is actually very often in my mind these days) is "knackered".
It's slang and I found the definition in the web page recommended in the post "slang":
Adj. 1. Tired, worn out, exhausted. E.g."I missed my bus, I've just walked home, I'm knackered, so I'm going to bed. OK?"

Great post!!!
Cristina