Tuesday 15 December 2009

British Humour

After speaking about television in class last week, I started to think about British humour. It is something that always pops up into conversations with “Johnny Foreigner."

One of the things that must add to our humour is that we are also famous for our eccentricities. I personally find this one of the more endearing qualities of our character, but then again, I am British. I also love our dry wit humour, which is often mixed with a splash of self-deprecation, sarcasm (this is definitely our forte) and irony.

British humour has everything. I do not know how many of you are familiar with Monty Python, but this can never be forgotten when speaking about British humour, such a combination of bizarre wit along with a splattering of social criticism.

Returning to sarcasm, often referred to as the lowest form of wit, is employed by the British people in all walks of life and situations. We often comment that Americans are incapable of understanding sarcasm and irony, and whilst in some cases that may be true, (unfortunately) it is disputable. As you may know, the relationship between Americans and the British is not always one of love and happiness, and any means we have of demeaning their intellect is usually appreciated. As I unfortunately am not the most humorous person in the world, I leave you with some links to a couple of articles that had me at least giggling in the corner.

See more

http://thejokes.co.uk/british-humour.php

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnBooks:Johnny_Foreigner's_Guide_to_British_Humour


No comments: