Tuesday 24 November 2009

Gravy!!!!


I went home at the weekend, and apart from enjoying a cup of tea that looked like tea and not like washing up liquid (sorry something that will never be the same in Spain is tea), I realised that what I missed food wise from England was a good gravy. My boyfriend made us duck with colcannon (mashed potato with cabbage, spring onion and cream - Irish recipe) and a red wine, duck fat, special brew and meat juices gravy...it was divine. Gravy is a marvellous sauce made from meat juices as a base and you can add all sorts of other flavours to give it body. It seems like a silly thing, and when I do not have it I do not miss it, but when it appeared on my plate I really knew I was at home... What do you miss when you are away? Or don’t realise that you miss? Let me know!

PLEASE COMMENT!! :=)

4 comments:

Mardi said...

When I'm away I don't miss the food because I try to eat the typical plates of the different countries. Sometimes this is terrible but don't mind it's a new experience for our taste.

Anonymous said...

Well, the thing I miss when I'm away is the privacy and the comfort that I feel when I'm at home.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew how to make gravy. I've tried using gravy powder but it isn't the real thing.

Departamento Ingles said...

To make gravy, all you need to do is take the meat pan, conserving the meat juices. Add to that the water you have used to boil the vegetables, keep it on a low heat on a hob (or you can transfer it all to a saucepan). Keep mixing, add wine or other flavours if you like, and to thicken it, add some flour. It may be best to take a small amount of the gravy to mix first separately with the flour to stop it from going lumpy, then add the paste to the rest. That´s all you need to do :)